- A company that pays out all earnings per share to stockholders as dividends. Or, a company or division of a company that generates a steady and significant amount of free cash flow. The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *cash cow ˈcash cow noun [countable]1. FINANCE a very profitable business or part of a business:
• Mail order should be seen as a cash cow that will generate cash for further moves into information services.
• GM and Ford have used luxury cars as cash cows; giving those up could have a terrible impact on profitability.2. MARKETING in the Growth/Share Matrix, a product with high market share in a low-growth market
* * *Something that generates a strong and steady flow of income, usually a product or a business.
* * *cash cow UK US noun [C]► FINANCE a business, product, or service that makes a large profit, often used to make money to support other business activities: »
Hong Kong Telecom has been a cash cow, thanks to a huge number of international calls.► MARKETING a product that has a large share of a market that is growing very little
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
cash cow — A product, business, etc, that generates a continuous flow of money or a high proportion of overall profits is a cash cow … The small dictionary of idiomes
cash cow — cash ,cow noun count a product or business that earns a lot of money, especially when this money is used to pay for something else: Action films are the cash cows in the movie business … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
cash cow — cash cows N COUNT In business, a cash cow is a product or investment that steadily continues to be profitable … English dictionary
cash cow — n something that a company sells very successfully and that brings in a lot of money … Dictionary of contemporary English
cash cow — cash′ cow n. Slang. cvb inf any business venture, operation, or product that is a dependable source of income or profit • Etymology: 1970–75 … From formal English to slang
cash cow — n. Business Slang a profitable asset or resource, as a subsidiary company, producing excess funds that are used to finance investment in other areas, support unprofitable ventures, etc … English World dictionary
Cash cow — In business, a cash cow is a product or a business unit that generates unusually high profit margins: so high that it is responsible for a large amount of a company s operating profit. This profit far exceeds the amount necessary to maintain the… … Wikipedia
cash cow — noun a project that generates a continuous flow of money • Syn: ↑moneymaker, ↑money spinner • Hypernyms: ↑project, ↑projection * * * noun : something (as an established product or corporate division) that yields a dependable profit wi … Useful english dictionary
cash cow — A company that pays out most of its earnings per share to stockholders as dividends. Or, a company or division of a company that generates a steady and significant amount of free cash flows.. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary * * * cash cow ˈcash… … Financial and business terms
Cash Cow — 1. One of the four categories (quadrants) in the BCG growth share matrix that represents the division within a company that has a large market share within a mature industry. 2. A business, product or asset that, once acquired and paid off, will… … Investment dictionary